Tangshan restaurant assault suspects linked to illegal online gambling
Posted: June 24, 2022, 1:31 a.m.
Last update: June 24, 2022, 2:42 a.m.
The perpetrators of a shocking assault on women at a barbecue restaurant in Tangshan, northeast China’s Hubei province, have ties to the country’s illegal online gambling industry, said the Chinese authorities.
In the early hours of June 10, a group of nine men launched a sickening attack on several diners, leaving at least two hospitalized. Surveillance footage of the incident sparked public outrage when it was leaked online and sparked a national debate on violence against women.
Chinese authorities and state media preferred to frame the incident as a gang crime issue rather than a gender-based violence issue. But online, the footage has drawn unprecedented criticism, with hundreds of thousands of people crying out for misogyny in Chinese society.
Within hours of being posted on social media site Weibo, it had been viewed 56 million times and generated more than 180,000 comments. The attack now has its own Wikipedia page.
Brutal attack video
Tangshan police said this week that four of the nine suspects traveled to eastern Jiangsu province on June 7 to conspire with the other five to “carry out illegal online gambling and money laundering activities”. ‘silver”.
Several have criminal records for offenses including unlawful possession of “intentional harm,” police said in a statement.
The nine men were found and arrested on the afternoon of June 11.
The video shows a man in his 40s approaching a young woman at a restaurant who is having dinner with friends. When she rebuffs his advances, he attacks her. One of the woman’s companions attempts to intervene and appears to hit the attacker with a bottle.
Now the man’s friends join in, beating the women with bottles and chairs. Two of the women are dragged outside by the hair, where they are repeatedly kicked, punched and jammed in the head.
The other diners in the restaurant do nothing.
On June 11, Tangshan police said two women had been hospitalized with “non-life-threatening injuries” and were in “stable condition”.
A photograph posted to social media, allegedly of one of the women being transported in an ambulance, depicts horrific injuries.
Chinese authorities have opened an investigation to find out whether the Tangshan police failed to respond in time. According to a statement, a deputy chief of the local police station has been suspended from duty.
Beijing is uncomfortable when women speak out against sexual assault and violence. In November 2021, Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai took to Weibo to accuse a senior Chinese Communist Party official, Zhang Gaoli, of assaulting her.
She then disappeared, only reappearing at the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics, where she denied making the allegations in what appeared to be staged interviews. Concerns remain about his whereabouts and safety.