WWE SmackDown Results, Recap & Notes: Roman Reigns To Meet Seth Rollins At Royal Rumble
Roman Reigns and Brock Lesnar are still vying for Paul Heyman’s services on WWE SmackDown. The main event triangle continued on Friday on a night that also cemented Seth Rollins as a Royal Rumble opponent from Reigns.
It looks like Heyman’s irresistible allegiance will continue to be a focal point on Road to WrestleMania and an expected champion-to-champion match between Reigns and Lesnar. Elsewhere on the map, the Usos defended their WWE SmackDown Tag Team Championship in a street fight against New Day, and a host of legends have been announced for the 2022 Women’s Royal Rumble match.
CBS Sports was with you all night with recaps and highlights of all the action from Mohegan Sun Area in Uncasville, Connecticut.
Reigns and Lesnar are still pining for Paul Heyman, Seth Rollins enters the mix
Roman Reigns has returned for the first time since testing positive for COVID and missed the Day 1 event. The universal champion insisted he never wanted to see Brock Lesnar or Paul Heyman again. This desire was quickly ignored when Lesnar’s music hit. “The Beast Incarnate” walked into the ring with Heyaman made his best impression of Heyman’s introduction, earning praise from his lawyer. The WWE Champion mocked the Universal Title holder by riffing on Reigns’ “recognize me” phrase before challenging Reigns to a title vs. title match.
Reigns refused to do business with Heyman, eliciting an emotional response from his former special advocate. Heyman, on the verge of tears, opened up about how he worshiped Reigns and had been assaulted for his allegiance. An enraged Lesnar told Heyman to shut up. Reigns then took advantage of the feud between the two and brought down Heyman with a superman punch.
Later that evening, Adam Pearce informed Sonya Deville that he had been tasked with determining a WWE Universal Title challenger for Reigns at the Royal Rumble. Pearce entered Reigns’ locker room ahead of the main event, informing the champion that a challenger had been chosen. Reigns didn’t care and asked Pearce to leave so that “the tribal chief” could watch over his cousins in peace.
After the conclusion of The Usos vs. New Day, Raw superstar Seth Rollins walked into Reigns’ locker room cackling, indicating Reigns vs. Rollins at the Royal Rumble. The Reigns-Rollins reservation at the Rumble was later confirmed on social networks.
The offers of Reigns and Lesnar for Heyman’s services were at the center of their feud, but it was a bit too much on the nose. Heyman’s rampant love decree for Reigns and Lesnar’s subsequent jealousy seems better suited to High School Musical: The Musical: The Series than WWE’s renowned rivalry. Plus, Reigns’ assault on Heyman and the manager’s reunion with Lesnar should have been the end of that common thread. Expect Reigns and Lesnar to make WrestleMania headlines in what amounts to a Paul Heyman in a pole match. Rating: D +
What else happened on WWE SmackDown
- Rick Boogs beat. Sami Zayn via pinfall thanks to a tight little package. Ahead of the game, Jackass Forever star Johnny Knoxville interrupted a promo from Zayn saying he wanted to solidify his place in the Royal Rumble. Following Zayn’s loss, Knoxville walked into the ring throwing him over the third string, confirming his status as a 2022 Royal Rumble participant.
- SmackDown Women’s Champion Charlotte Flair entered the Royal Rumble in an area that also includes several WWE veterans, including current Impact Women’s Champion Mickie James, Lita, the Bella Twins, Michelle McCool, Kelly Kelly and Summer Rae.
- Charlotte Flair def. Naomi via pinfall through natural selection. Naomi was set to win by scoring, then by disqualification. Sonya Deville has said each time the game cannot end with an away scoring or disqualification.
- Happy Corbin and Madcap Moss won. The Viking Raiders via pinfall after Moss landed a whiplash, now dubbed Punchline, on Erik. The match came after a Happy Talk segment where Moss dressed up as Drew McIntyre and he and Corbin shot the injured Scottish Warrior.
- The Usos (c) def. New day via pinfall in a street fight to keep the SmackDown Tag Team Championships. The Usos led Kingston through a table with a 3-D, now dubbed the 1-D, to win the game. The funniest moment of the contest came when Woods donned a Spartan helmet to soak up a superkick from Uso.